UK Telegraph reports that 14 headless bodies were found stuffed inside a van and nine more hanging from a bridge in a brutal day of gang violence in the Mexican border city of Nuevo Laredo. There have been over 50,000 casualties in Mexico since the cartel war began.
The Blaze – Yesterday, three Mexican journalists’ bodies were discovered, dismembered and stuffed into plastic bags. They apparently had been asking the wrong questions in a country where drug violence is already dangerously high. Fox News reported at the time:
It was a bloody start to World Press Freedom Day in Mexico as authorities in the eastern state of Veracruz discovered the bodies of three news photographers slain and dumped together in plastic bags near a canal, less than a week after the killing in the same state of a reporter for an investigative newsmagazine.
Press advocates called for immediate government action to halt a wave of attacks that has killed at least six current and former reporters and photographers in Veracruz over the last year, most of them among the few journalists still working on crime-related stories in the state. The deaths have spawned an atmosphere of terror and self-censorship among journalists.
The problem isn’t confined to Veracruz. Mexico is one of the world’s most dangerous countries for journalists, with reporters and photographers suffering a rising number of attacks in recent years as the country grapples with tens of thousands of killings, kidnappings and extortion against the backdrop of a militarized government offensive against drug cartels. Prosecutions in the cases are all but unknown, as is the case with almost all homicides and other serious crimes in Mexico.
Today, an even more grisly discovery has surfaced, as 23 total people were found dead in Nuevo Laredo, Mexico.
14 of the corpses were beheaded and wrapped in plastic bags, with their heads preserved in separate ice boxes. The other 9, however, were discovered in a truly horrific state. WTOP Washington describes the carnage.
Previous postings on Mexghanistan:
- Veracruz, Mexico: 16 killed in 2 attacks after entire municipal police force replaced by marines
- Mexico replaces entire police force in Veracruz with marines as part of campaign to eliminate corruption
- US indictment of Lebanese druglord reveals close ties between Hezbollah and Mexican drug cartels
- 3 abandoned vehicles containing 26 murdered bodies found on Mexican highway
- Mexican drug cartel hogties, disembowels, slashes and hangs social media users from bridge
- Mexico: 2 dozen gunmen storm casino, torch it, kill at least 53
- Entire Mexican police force quits after chief and 5 officers murdered by drug gang
- Mexghanistan: 3 men tortured, shot, dangled from bridge, 1 survives
- Mexghanistan: Drug cartels take to building their own tanks
- Likely Hamas, Hezbollah tunnels found under U.S.-Mexico border
- 13 killed in lake gun battle on U.S. – Mexghanistan border
- Hezbollah sets up base on U.S.-Mexico border
- Mass grave containing 59 bodies found in Mexghanistan
- 41 murdered in 4-day killing spree in the Mexghanistan city of Ciudad Juarez
- 13 illegals posings as U.S. marines named ‘Perez’ caught at CA border
- Bravest sheriff update
- Brave young Mexghanistan woman sheriff rumored to have fled
- Mexghanistan: More civilians killed last year in Ciudad Juarez than in all of Afghanistan
- Hezbollah working with Mexghanistan drug cartels
- Chief of police and bodyguards murdered in Mexghanistan
- Mexghanistan: Another 15 people dead, 14 of them decapitated
- Tears for 2 clowns in Mexico
- Mexghanistan hits new level of brutality in 2010