Mexghanistan continues to rack up the death toll.
AP (h/t Hotairpundit) – An entire 20-man police force resigned in a northern Mexican town after a series of attacks that killed the police chief and five officers over the last three months, state officials said Thursday.
The officers’ resignation Thursday left the 13,000 people of Ascension without local police services, Chihuahua state chief prosecutor Carlos Manuel Salas said. State and federal police have moved in to take over police work, he said.
The mass resignation appeared to be connected to a Tuesday attack by gunmen that killed three of the town’s officers, Salas said.
But it wasn’t the first deadly attack on the police department this year.
In mid-May, police chief Manuel Martinez, who had been in office just seven months, was gunned down with two other officers on a nearby highway. The three had been kidnapped a day before police found their bodies riddled with bullets in the back seat of a sedan.
Angry residents had led authorities to replace the entire force last September after the mob killings of two teenagers who had allegedly kidnapped a girl from a seafood restaurant. People claimed police officers were aiding drug gangs.
Martinez, with his new police force, had said he wanted to end the kidnappings and extortions that have terrorized the town where people grow green chili and cotton.
The new police in Ascension had installed a telescopic camera in the town’s plaza that rotated, giving officers at the station the ability to zoom on a site as far as the outskirts of town.
Previous posting on Mexghanistan:
- Mexghanistan: 3 men tortured, shot, dangled from bridge, 1 survives
- Mexghanistan: Drug cartels take to building their own tanks
- Likely Hamas, Hezbollah tunnels found under U.S.-Mexico border
- 13 killed in lake gun battle on U.S. – Mexghanistan border
- Hezbollah sets up base on U.S.-Mexico border
- Mass grave containing 59 bodies found in Mexghanistan
- 41 murdered in 4-day killing spree in the Mexghanistan city of Ciudad Juarez
- 13 illegals posings as U.S. marines named ‘Perez’ caught at CA border
- Bravest sheriff update
- Brave young Mexghanistan woman sheriff rumored to have fled
- Mexghanistan: More civilians killed last year in Ciudad Juarez than in all of Afghanistan
- Hezbollah working with Mexghanistan drug cartels
- Chief of police and bodyguards murdered in Mexghanistan
- Mexghanistan: Another 15 people dead, 14 of them decapitated
- Tears for 2 clowns in Mexico
- Mexghanistan hits new level of brutality in 2010
Previous posts on Hezbollah at the border: