The religion of peace struck three times in southern Thailand over the past couple of days. The Islamic insurgency in southern Thailand is perhaps the most under-reported in the world. Over 4300 people have been murdered there in the last seven years.
(CHAKRA) — In Thailand’s restive south, eight Buddhists have been killed by Muslim militants, according to police reports.
Police Lieutenant General, Kong-att Suwannakham says insurgents detonated a homemade bomb in a football field in the province of Pattani which resulted in four policemen being killed and another dozen being wounded. They had all just met at the field to play a friendly game of football knowing little that their lives were at stake in a few minutes time.
In the province of Yala, police say that insurgents set off a roadside bomb and shot at an army patrol, killing three soldiers and wounding two.
Additionally two men on bicycles, fatally shot at a formal local official in his pick up truck, in the province of Narathiwat.
In Thailand’s three Muslim-dominated provinces, more than 4,300 people have been killed in the predominantly Buddhist regions. These killings have all happened since the Islamist insurgency erupted in the country in 2004.
Make that 4 attacks:
The Nation – A Thai Buddhist man was shot dead and his wife seriously wounded in a driveby shooting in Narathiwat’s Sungai Padi district Wednesday morning. Police blamed separatist militants for launching the attack to create chaos in the region.
Sungai Padi police station chief Pol Col Peerapol Na Patthalung said that Monthon Samathithabdee, 50, and wife Boonsri Thongkam, 44, were riding a motorcycle to do construction work in Sungai Kolok district at about 8am, when two men on another motorbike tailed them and opened fire, shooting at them five times. Monthon, who sustained two gunshots in the back and chest, was killed instantly. His wife, who was hit in the ribs and right shoulder, was rushed to Sungai Padi Hospital and then transferred to Sungai Kolok Hospital.
Previous posts on the Islamic insurgency in Thailand’s south:
- Muslims kill Thai temple’s last 2 serving Buddhist monks
- Muslims kill 7, wound 15 in series of attacks in southern Thailand
- Muslim bomb kills one, injures 23 in Thailand
- Muslims kill 2 more, wound 5 others in Thailand
- Muslims murder Buddhist monk, shoot and seriously wound 2 others in Southern Thailand
- Muslim terrorists set off massive fire in Yala, Thailand
- Muslim terrorists kill 3 Buddhists, burn bodies in Thai south
- 5 more Buddhists mowed down in cold blood by cowardly Muslims in Southern Thailand
- Islamists murder village’s last remaining Buddhist couple and their 2 children in southern Thailand
- Muslims kill 9 and wound 2 in southern Thailand
- Muslims in southern Thailand overrun army base, steal weapons and kill 4